He says that the shift in human functioning over the next 40 or 50 years will be so dramatic that humanity will “evolve” into a new kind of species.
The hallmarks of this new species (according to the article):
- A “bigger” brain (through the use of software and computers, not increased learning)
- Increased hearing (through implants, i.e., Bluetooth or equivalent)
- Larger guts and butts (less exercise, eating more)
- A smaller penis (yay, evolution!)
- Red eyes (from staring at a screen all day)
- Increased language skills (ostensibly from the “upgraded brain” noted above)
- Fingers with “smart chip” implants
- A longer lifespan (at least 120 years) (since we’ll be fatter, eating more, and more sedentary, this longer lifespan will be achieved [again] through technological manipulation)
- Delayed sexual maturity and extended reproductive age
The theory of evolution is a biological process which, through “natural selection“, leads to changes in inherited characteristics over the course of generations. Adherents of the theory claim that it has been at work for the last 3-4 billion years. The features of this new anticipated evolutionary “species” are not inherited, naturally selected, or generational. Arguably (at least from my perspective), these new traits aren’t even desirable.
So, what’s the “danger” part?
Garbage bunk science like this is going to lead to the most powerful eugenics movement the world has ever seen. If the “new” species relies on technology to exist, only the privileged (i.e., the ones who can afford the technology) will attain to the status of being part of the new species.
Meanwhile, the “un-evolved” humans will remain in the world, but their status as not belonging to the new “evolved” species will demote them to existence at the service of the evolved. Only the evolved will possess the top tier of rights in the new society.
Consider this statement from the article:
Global society at the moment is a complete mess, but in crisis there is opportunity, and in apocalypse there can be metamorphosis.
I think the next system humanity creates [as if humanity “created” the current system] will be far more sophisticated, fair, and abundant than our current civilisation.
The Ruling Class awaits that moment in time when it can use human progress to create the machine that will lead to a permanent separation of classes. The lower classes won’t be poor people; they’ll be an inferior species who do not enjoy the same rights as the evolved.
And then the poverty problem will finally be solved.